President's Annual Report 2014
Aloha Kuau Bayview Owners!
It is that time again. Another year has passed and our Annual Homeowners Meeting is almost upon us... Thursday, Nov 20th, 2014 at 6:00 pm at Paia Community Center. As your President for the past two and a half years, I am so very proud of the accomplishments our Board has achieved on behalf of all the owners here.
We have been working tirelessly to create the peaceful kind of neighborhood we would all like to live in.
Our last two years of accomplishments have been as follows:
- The experiment we attempted for self-management has been a great success. At the beginning I had considerable opposition to this idea, especially from former Board members. I proposed a six month trial period to see if it could be done, and now, two years later, I am happy to say that it has worked out even better than expected and has saved us tens of thousands of dollars.
- Self-management enabled us to save enough money to build a beautiful rock wall at the entrance to Kuau Bayview which has enhanced our neighborhood and increased property values for every owner. Looking back, it was a wonderful investment for all.
- We were able to reduce yearly fees from $300 to only $100 per year which means every owner gets to keep $200 each year that would previously have gone to fees. We will strive to make this discount permanent as long as we can.
- Our landscaping is looking better than it ever has, a beautiful and colorful addition that looks like something from a Wailea neighborhood. For that we have to thank Darlene Brothers, who has spent over two years transforming this area. Many more hours then she ever got paid for.
- All of our bookkeeping is now in order, transparent, and visible to all online, so you can see for yourself how frugal we have been with the Association money.
- Even though we reduced the fees by $18,400.00, this year we were able to add over $10,000 to our reserves mostly due to a huge reimbursement from the insurance company for overpayments on our insurance in the past. Again, Darlene Brothers is the person who worked countless hours on this project that netted us thousands of dollars in refunds, with possibly more to come. We also changed our insurance company and we are paying much less for the same coverage.
- I'm also happy to report that ALL homeowners are now current in paying their dues for the first time ever. Thank you to all of you for working with us.
- As there are no delinquencies, we now have no reason to hire and retain attorneys on our payroll, thus saving even more money for all of us.
- By taking advantage of digital technology for "Green" communications, and such new features as the new Online Proxy Form, we are not only saving money, but also becoming more and more efficient as time goes on. All owners benefit when managing the Association affords them easier access to information, and required procedures are less laborious. More people can participate when there are smaller demands on the limited time in our busy lives.
- In response to the crime scare last Spring Break, we have been working on a project to increase safety and security in our neighborhood, and progress so far will be discussed at the meeting. We will be handing out complimentary security stickers to all those who attend and also have a few gifts to pass out, maybe even some door prizes.
In conclusion, we had a truly wonderful year in Kuau Bayview. Now, as my term is expiring, I will be seeking re-election to the Board for the next two years. When I was first elected, I promised to run this Association like a successful business, and we did do that. If you are happy with the way things are here, then I will be happy to be of service to you in the next two years.
I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible on a one-to-one basis. Starting friendships builds community and makes us all safer. Please come enjoy the food, little gifts, and have some fun with your neighbors!
Kuau Bayview at Paia HOA
PS. It is very important that we achieve a quorum for the meeting, so please take a minute out of your busy schedule and try the new Online Proxy Form. It is working very well and is kind of fun. If you have any suggestions on how to make it better, please let us know. If you decide to attend the meeting, you will be able to vote in person and the proxy will be cancelled. See you at the meeting! Luba